BROKENHEAD RIVER PLANNING DISTRICT
Building Inspector/Development Officer
The Building Inspector/Development Officer, under the direction of the Brokenhead River Planning District Board is responsible for administering the Manitoba Building Code, Plumbing, Farm building and fire code requirements, including processing of building permits application, completing related inspections and providing information in response to public inquiries.
The District is a growing and thriving community with a combined population between the Town of Beausejour and the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead of over 7,500 people.
Job Title: Development Officer/Building and Fire Inspector
Reports to: Planning District Board
Development Officer/Building and Fire Inspector
Under the direction of the BRPD, the responsibilities of this position are to enforce and enact the policies of the Brokenhead River Planning District Board. The Employee examines and has the authority to approve development plan policies on zoning matters, building plans and specifications outlined in The Planning Act and other statutory regulations thereunder. Inspects work in progress and completed work to ensure that it has been performed according to the plans and specifications for all structures that fall under Part 9 and Part 3 of the current Manitoba Building and Plumbing Codes. The Development Officer acts as an advisor to the Board interpreting provincial legislation and municipal bylaws, policies and procedures as related to the development and planning functions in order to assist the Board to carry out its responsibilities in accordance with The Planning Act. As Fire Inspector, the Employee will be responsible for the undertaking of fire inspections of buildings as required under The Fire Prevention and Emergency Response Act.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide advice and information to the public, municipal authorities and the Board on matters related to land development issues.
- Maintain liaison with municipal and provincial agencies related to the administration of the Development Plan and Zoning By-laws. Process all Development Plan amendments and Zoning By-laws amendments with the assistance of Community Planning.
- To fulfill the statutory obligations of the Development Officer in accordance with The Planning Act and to administer the Development Plan and Zoning By-law.
- Monitor and control the annual operating budget as approved by BRPD.
- To plan, co-ordinate, assign and supervise the work of all staff employed by the BRPD.
- Provide advisory assistance to subdivision proponents and prepare comments for the Board and provide recommendations.
- Receives and completes building application forms, plans and other relevant information required for the issuing of the permits.
- Checks all plans in detail for conformity with the requirements of the Manitoba Building Code, Plumbing Code and Building By-Law or any other relevant by-law or regulations.
- Issue permits such as building, mechanical, moving, occupancy, demolition, stop work orders, etc.
- Monitors and enforces the Building and Zoning By-laws for the respective municipalities.
- Ensures that construction proceeds according to approved plans by performing on-site inspections. Maintain inspection report files.
- Examines survey building location certificates in relation to existing Zoning By-laws to ensure conformity and issue zoning memorandums, when requested.
- To undertake, as per Clause 21(1) of The Fire Prevention and Emergency Response Act, the prescribed fire safety inspections within the Town of Beausejour and the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead.
- Assure that all records, building plan and permits, minutes and other documents are kept in a proper manner.
- Prior to signing off on any fire inspection, ensure that inspected buildings are in compliance with the Manitoba Fire Code.
- Attend Planning Board and attend Council meetings as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent is required;
- Minimum of three (3) years of practical experience working with development and building regulations (e.g. Building Cord, Plumbing Code, Zoning Bylaws, etc.)
- Successful completion of Part 9 and Part 3 Manitoba Building Code courses;
- Sound judgement skills to analyze complex technical information from a variety of expert sources;
- Familiarity with The Planning Act;
- Familiarity with using computers and office related software programs and other related equipment;
- Proven ability providing clear communication, both verbal and written;
- Sound planning and organizational skills for daily work;
- Ability to assess situations and exercise sound judgment;
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact and sound judgement in discussion of land use and development matters with developers, consultants, the representatives of other levels of government, planning district staff and members of the general public;
- Ability to work efficiently and with frequent interruptions.
- Familiarity with Geographic Information System
Compensation for this position is subject to negotiation and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We would like to thank all applicants who apply, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please direct all applications to: email@example.com
Application deadline: August 23, 2019.
Sue Sutherland, CAO